When people are in environments that support positive emotions, they’re free to be productive, collaborative and creative.’
Laughter Well-being is a custom-made experience and is suitable for:
- Team Reward: Build on the positivity present and create a memorable celebration event with a health boost
- Team Build: Creates team cohesion in a positive, uplifting way without any pressure to perform WITH added proven health benefits (mental and physical)
- Team Strengthen: Draw out and build on your team’s strengths. The session can often elicit team members’ hidden strengths too!
- Well-being Warm-up: Start a company, client, or team meeting, a product launch, or a training with everyone feeling positive, relaxed, and ready to trade new information and ideas
- Well-being Wrap-up: End a company or team meeting, product launch, or training with positivity and lengthened relaxation to retain new information and ideas… a positive, memorable, health-boosting session associated with your workplace or client event
Research has shown that ‘Laughter sessions in the workplace show significant stress reductions and a sharp increase in work effectiveness’ and ‘Laughter sessions are an effective tool to improve workplace performance’.
Natural laughter usually lasts 3-5 seconds. 50 years of medical and scientific research shows that people get proven health benefits when laughter occurs continuously for 15 minutes. Laughter well-being at the workplace aids stress management, provides uplifting playfulness and assists with creating a positive mental attitude. Laughter sessions are health-boosting as they provide a natural form of exercise and release feel-good hormones to aid mental and physical health.
- Effective Sustained Team-building: Laughter connects people, as it is a language that we all speak. Laughing together deepens emotional connections between team members regardless of ability, language, background or history. There is no hierarchy when we laugh together. Group laughter breaks down barriers and helps members integrate quickly into a new team. ‘A workplace laughter group can appeal to a diverse range of employees, can be effective with minimal investment of time, and may have sustained positive effects on self-beliefs that have been shown to correlate with positive workplace behaviours’ (Beckman, H., Regier, N., & Young, J. ).
- Value and Maximum Audience Participation: Laughter well-being is suitable for all team members; there is zero joke-telling and participation is invited. Research shows that people are 30x more likely to laugh in groups, as it is a social language. Team members gain understanding of the return they’ll receive on their time investment as laughter well-being offers a valuable mind and body health takeaway, both personally and professionally. There is zero pressure to perform or create, as is common with other team-building activities.
- Increased Resilience: The laughter is balanced with proven relaxation techniques (Laughter Well-being), which are encouraged for use at the desk or at home, and further support a work-life balance and increased ability to tolerate uncertainty.
- Mindset Change: This unusual team-building activity creates alertness, interest and a move into the learning zone. Laughing together supports working together for a common cause. Sometimes hidden skills will emerge in the laughter session.
- Defused Conflict: Studies show that humour decreases aggression and stress and promotes cooperation and fairness between people. Humour changes things for the better and laughter is an intrinsic part of harmony and cooperation. Workers report that they are re-energised, re-motivated and re-connected after a laughter well-being session.
- Better Communication: Laughter is a form of communication that all humans recognise and perform in the same way. Laughing together can greatly improve communication between people, whatever their background, as commonalities come to the forefront.
- Improved Workplace Performance: Research shows that team-building laughter sessions are an effective tool to improve workplace performance and boost wellbeing. People who laugh together work well together. ‘Workplace laughter is a realistic, sustainable, and generalizable intervention that enhances employees’ morale, resilience, and personal efficacy beliefs’ (Beckman, H., Regier, N., & Young, J. ).
- Increased Mental Health: Laughter releases endorphins (feel-good chemicals), which generate well-being when released. Endorphins counteract stress hormones, help to induce a state of calmness and support mental health.
- Increased Physical Health and Focus: Laughter accesses the right side of the brain, which promotes relaxation and respite from left-brain activities such as technical work. Laughter also forces us to take in more oxygen, which makes our breathing deeper and helps us to relax and access more clarity and health.
- A Memorable Shared Team Event: A workplace group laughter session produces bonding and maximum audience participation. This is often maintained and remembered and can become a living, breathing part of the company’s culture, promoting continued workplace well-being and co-operation.